Ferdinand Levillain (1837-1905) and Barbedienne foundry.
Patinated bronze and gilded bronze.
Signed " F.Levillain " in the decoration, and " F.Barbedienne " on the reverse.
L. 25 - l. 17 cm
Ferdinand Levillain (1837-1905) studied with the sculptor Jouffroy (1806-1882), before making his first exhibition in 1861 at the Salon des artistes français where he continued to exhibit until 1903. At the 1867 World's Fair in Paris, he was praised for a Greek Revival bronze cup he made for the firm of Blot and Drouard. However, he did not become truly famous until 1871 through his association with the great bronze founder Ferdinand Barbedienne, who began to exhibit Greek Revival lamps, cups, vases and candelabras on his stands. Levillain enjoyed a resounding triumph at the 1878 Universal Exhibition in Paris, where he was unanimously awarded the gold medal for his classical-style creations. After receiving a first class medal at the 1884 Salon, Ferdinand Levillain won a silver medal at the 1889 Paris World Fair.