Pair of young stags after the antique.
Late 19th century, early 20th century.
Lenght 78 cm
Height 93 cm
This pair of young stags is a reproduction of the same dimensions as the originals kept in the Archaeological Museum of Napoli under the inventory numbers 4888 and 4886. These 1st century AD Roman sculptures were discovered in the Villa dei Papyri during an exploration campaign that lasted from 1750 to 1765 outside the site of Herculaneum. Ninety-three works of art were uncovered in this villa known for its exceptional decoration and especially the numerous manuscripts that were discovered there. The original pair decorated the peristyle of the villa.
Initiated in 1738 by Charles de Bourbon, the excavation of Herculaneum yielded so many antiques that a museum was set up in 1750 in Portici, a city next to Naples, in an annex of the royal palace. The collection belonged to Charles of Bourbon but was organized thematically and travelers had to go through long procedures to gain access to the museum, which became known as the richest antique cabinet in Italy thanks to the reproductions made by the artists admitted to the palace as well as the engravings of the works that circulated among the European aristocrats.
They were reproduced by the Chiurazzi foundry since the end of the 19th century and are illustrated in their catalogue.