Oil on canvas.
H. 78,5 - l. 57 cm.
Dietrich Lindau settled in Rome in 1821 and was introduced to the German and Danish artists' circles living in the city at that time. He became friends with several of them and joined Thorvaldsen's circle. In 1827, he represented him with two other Danish sculptors: Bissen and Freund. He drew several works by the master sculptor, some of which are now in the Thorvaldsen Museum in Copenhagen. In the same museum, a portrait of Thorvaldsen signed by Lindau shows a touch similar to our painting.